|Roadmap to Making an ICBC Claim
ICBC Personal Injury Claims
- Obtain wtnesses, if possible.
- Exchange information with the other driver.
- Make a diagram of the accident
- Note the location of your car relative to landmarks, such as crosswalks, centre line, buses, shrubs or buildings.
- Notify ICBC of the accident.
- Call Simpson Thomas to find out about your deadline & limitation periods.
- Next to you, your family doctor is the most important person in your case
- Your doctor will monitor your recovery and may refer you to a specialist or other health care provider.
- You may go to a physiotherapist, chiropractor, massage therapist or acupuncturist. These professionals are NOT replacements for your family doctor.
- Come to see Simpson Thomas as soon as possible
- We make sure that you will meet all deadlines.
- We ensure you apply for and get all of the "no fault" benefits you are entitled to receive.
- We will take your case to trial, if necessary.
- The lawsuit is a formal step in an ICBC claim.
- You have 2 years from the date of the accident to start a lawsuit...The Limitation Period.
- If you don't start a lawsuit within the Limitation Period, your claim is EXTINGUISHED!
- ICBC hires experts to fight you and your claim.
- Simpson Thomas has the knowledge, experience & expertise to battle ICBC's experts and present your case fairly.
- We may hire an expert on:how the accident happened, your lost income, your loss of pension benefits, your cost of future medical treatments and care.
- This is a step in the legal process that allows ICBC to ask you questions about your claim.
- Simpson Thomas will prepare you for the Examination for Discovery.
- We will attend the Examination for Discovery with you to make sure ICBC does not ask you any improper questions.
- Mediation is a step to help settle your claim.
- We hire an independent person to help us settle your claim.
- Many claims settle at mediation.
- Trial is an opportunity for us to tell a judge or jury your story and how your injuries have affected you.
- We will prepare every expert to give evidence.
- We will work with you to select witnesses who will best prove your claim.